Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Do Women have a different “speech style” than Men? If so, is there such a thing as “female speech” and how exactly is it defined?

One researcher has coined the phrase “female speech” and indicated that women tend to add “tag questions” to the end of their affirmative sentences.

Mark Liberman writes:

Tag questions are grammatical structures in which a declarative is followed by an attached interrogative clause or “tag”, such as

1. You were missing last week, weren't you?

2. Thorpe's away, is he?

Generally, leading questions are limited to cross-examination. (And, yes, I know, also to certain witnesses lacking capacity.)

But would I call that “female speech?” Adding that interrogative clause makes a trial lawyers otherwise improper testimony into an acceptable form of question.

Interesting …

Click here to read the entire article.

I’m not sure that I agree … maybe I just don’t really understand the whole thing …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home